Society: South Florida Public Media
FLSA Status: Full time, exempt
Reports to: Vice President of News
Calendar: Monday to Friday, or as assigned
Site: Miami, Florida
Deadline to apply: ASAP
(1) fill out a job application here. Then submit (2) a cover letter, (3) a curriculum vitae or CV, (4) at least three extracts (links or mp3) and (5) at least three professional references who have worked closely with you and can talk about your qualifications for the job.
Email all documents to [email protected] and include “Sundial Producer” in the subject line.
Summary of position
The producer oversees all facets of the production of Sundial, WLRN’s weekday public affairs show, including working with the host, research and segment preparation, script writing, production and hosting. editing of items, including radio and digital packages, social media, voiceovers and sound clips. , content generation, source development, pre-interview and guest booking, and tone shaping of the show. The Sundial producer reports to the vice president of news.
Responsibilities and duties of the position
1. Produces the sundial Monday through Thursday, including on-air and digital components, generating segment ideas, booking guests, coordinating production and social media engagement.
2. Works with WLRN Information Partners
3. Help organize, attend and participate in public events and community outreach as a newsroom representative.
4. Participate in staff meetings and professional development opportunities.
5. Possible supervision of personnel
6. Other assigned tasks.
Skills and experience required
1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
2. Four (4) years minimum experience in an audiovisual media newsroom environment.
3. Strong critical judgment skills and the ability to make decisions about the credibility and value of content on time.
4. Knowledge of South Florida news, issues and culture, with strong research and communication skills.
5. Familiarity with public engagement, social media and public media news and values.
6. Ability to operate digital information collection hardware, software, practices and standards, including digital editing technologies and platforms.
7. Proven ability to work collaboratively with little supervision.
8. Effectiveness with audio editing software such as Audition, Pro Tools or similar
9. Ability and willingness to train / mentor / coach staff, freelancers and interns on all platforms.
Preferred skills and experience
Familiarity with public media sensitivities
Experience in digital public media
Knowledge or passion for the region
Language: Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese
Physical demands and working conditions
Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays; ability to travel; must be able to perform the essential duties of the position.
About WLRN Public Media
WLRN is an award-winning public radio and television station and winner of the National Edward R. Murrow Award for Overall Radio Excellence in Major Markets for 2021. We are based in Miami and cover South Florida from the Palm Beaches in Key West. We are Florida’s largest public radio station. WLRN News is a daily news broadcast operation providing multimedia news for WLRN 91.3 FM 91.5 FM in the Florida Keys and 105.5 WOLL HD-2 in the Palm Beaches, as well as digital content for WLRN. org and social media.